Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sew Fun!

My wonderful family gave me a sewing machine for my graduation present, and I've been having a great time making a few things with it. I found out that I really like sewing, especially if I do it while watching some of my favorite movies. Anyway, I thought that I'd just post a few pictures of some of the things that I've made so far.

I made some curtains for our kitchen because the blinds were really gross and because we needed room for our herb garden. They're great because they give the plants enough room to grow and don't fall down every other day (like the blinds did).

This is what they look like at night.
This is what they look like during the day.

My ward has a "sewing club," where a lady in our ward teaches us all sorts of interesting things about sewing (she studied design in college, so she has a lot of helpful tips). I attend now that I have a sewing machine and can practice the things that we learn at home. For the months of November and December, we made advent calendars out of felt and canvas. This is how mine turned out:

The numbers are little pockets to store the advent characters in.

I'm rather pleased with how it turned out.
A big thanks to Linnea Hall for designing the calendar, drawing the templates, teaching me how to make it, and helping me cut out the felt pieces.

I also made a tote at one of the sewing club meetings, but I unfortunately don't have a picture of that. Oh well. Next month we're learning how to make ties for little boys and for men, so watch for pictures of the ones I make for Zac.

1 comment:

Emerson and Cassandra said...

Wow, Amanda! Your curtains and calendar were really cute and creative. That's awesome that you know how to sew!